Deskbooks can cost the firm hundreds of dollars a year in upkeep, so with that much of an investment per lawyer, shouldn't we be asking ourselves (both librarians and lawyers) a few questions about our best practices when it comes to Deskbooks? Kevin emailed me this morning and wondered if we should be asking ourselves the following:
- What is the value of a deskbook?
- What is the best practices model for a deskbook?
- Should a best practices model be taught in Library or Law School?
- Should they be the starting point in a research project?
- Should deskbooks migrate over to eBooks?
- How should an eDeskbook collection be managed?
Take a look at Kevin Miles' article, "Library on a Credenza" [PDF], and let us know if you are already acting on some of the best practices issues discussed here and in the article.