As someone that has both attended (2005), and presented (2009) at the Advanced Management for Private Law Librarians (AMPLL) Conference, I encourage anyone that is a manager at a law firm or corporate law department to apply for the upcoming conference. I wrote about how AMPLL recharged my batteries back in 2009 and I still feel that this type of training / social interaction with peers is important for anyone who is a leader in the private law library world.
One suggestion I have on the application is that you pay particular attention to questions 6 (What are your biggest management challenges?) and 7 (What do you hope to gain from attending this conference?) on the application. Those are extremely important when deciding who gets in and who doesn’t. (Come to think of it, they’d also make some pretty good Elephant Post questions!)
Here are the instructions. The deadline is December 31st, so get to work!
- Our world: appreciate and capitalize on intimate knowledge of the legal industry
- Our firm: collaborate to create and leverage strategic opportunities
- Our department: measure and communicate value
- Our staff: cultivate the staff you want
- Ourselves: enhance time management, project management and soft skills