I usually don’t post on the weekends, but I found this quote last night and it really stuck with me:
We must devote the time now to demystifying what we do, and working in concert with those who would seem to be a threat to the old order.
Remember that the world ultimately is a reciprocal place.
Treat people with respect and as partners, and they will partner with you.
Treat people as a threat or as criminals, and they will threaten your institution and ultimately bring it down.
This path doesn’t have to be scary.
- You’re the leader – are you taking the time to lead? (devote the time)
- Do those that follow you understand what it is we are doing? (demystify what we do)
- Have you identified the reasons for the change and understand it is not going away? (work in concert with the threats to the old world order)
- Are the decisions being made in a vacuum, or are you meeting with those that the change is affecting and soliciting ideas from those in the trenches? (remember the world is a reciprocal place)
- Are you treating everyone with respect and allowing them to team with you? (treat people as partners and they will partner with you)
- Or, are you treating everyone as challenger to your plan and believe that they are the barricades to your plan succeeding? (treat people as criminals and they will threaten your institution and ultimately bring it down)