Like it or not, it does seem that the idea e-publishing finally reached a tipping point with the Amazon Kindle where people (including myself) finally bought into the idea that they could actually read an entire book in electronic format. In my opinion, there were three or four reasons behind the Kindle succeeding where other e-publishing formats failed.
- E-ink made the text readable
- Having the support and backing of Amazon made me comfortable
- Downloading books wirelessly made it easy
- No monthly fees to maintain the Kindle satisfied my ‘cheap’ side
- E-publishing should be cheaper than print publishing.
- The publisher must be able to set the price.
- E-publishing should allow me to protect the Intellectual Property of the publisher’s work.
- There has to be a public acceptance of the e-publishing format.
- There has to be a de facto publishing standard that all legal publishers adopt.